How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

3 years ago I got a misdermeanor Possession charge for Marijuana

This answer was rated:

3 years ago I got a misdermeanor Possession charge for Marijuana in North Carolina. I am trying to join the Army what can I do to get that removed from my record?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Do you remember if you were convicted, or if not, what was the outcome?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i was convicted and was held for two weeks with time served

Thank you, S. Were you under 18 at the time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I was 17


Thank you, S.

A person can petition the court to expunge certain misdemeanors if they were previously convicted of a felony or misdemeanor other than a traffic violation under state or federal law and they have a conviction misdemeanor and were under age 18 at the time of pleading guilty or being found guilty.

This is to be filed with the Court that oversaw the conviction. The form may be found here.

However, the issue is that while this would expunge the record, the military would still see it because expungement erases the record for most civilian employers, etc, but allows government agencies and authorities to still view it. Ergo, I am afraid it would not be a "complete" erasure, although it would help.

However, one can apply for a waiver that the military generally provides for low-level misdemeanors such as the one you have. It is very likely that with a combination of expungement and the waiver (or either, actually), the military should have no issues with this matter. The waiver process may be requested from the recruiter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your gratuity.