How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

OK we have finally got our bank accounts unfroze. Our Attorney

This answer was rated:

OK we have finally got our bank accounts unfroze. Our Attorney has pushed for the forfeiture hearing. We had it yesterday. We were raided in July 2012, no charges and March 2013, no charges. Our Attorney requested a dismissal and the prosecutor asked the judge for more time because they are still investigating. They have 3 years I guess. We left the courtroom and our Attorney went to the clerks office and requested a copy of the (I'm not sure what it was called) the form that the police turn in to the judge to get the warrant. The clerk said he would have to get a signed release from the judge. The judge denied it? Our Attorney was dumbfounded! He said this is public knowledge? So now what?
Thank you for your new question and update.

Your attorney was seeking the application for the search warrant which is what he would use to determine the probable cause the police needed to even get the warrant. Your attorney is correct in that it is public record unless it was sealed by the court. If the judge denied the copy of the application for search warrant, your attorney has a right to file an immediate writ to the court of appeals seeking the court of appeals release that public record to you and that should be his next step.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you