How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerLady07 Your Own Question
LawyerLady07, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 299
Experience:  Willing to provide information pertaining to traffic and criminal cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawyerLady07 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Deffered Probation

Customer Question

I went to see my officer and she was going to pee me so I told her that I was dirty and she is sending me to the court officer what dose this mean I have a 2 yr old and cant go to jail what is going to happen or could happen

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 4 years ago.
Good evening!

I'd be happy to help you with your legal inquiry. I need a little more detail to answer your question fully. What was the original charge for which you are on probation? And what was the disposition? Was it a finding of guilt or a deferred disposition? Was there a sentence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it as for an Adderall pill and its 3 yr defferd probation. im don't sure what disposition means

Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you for that information. A disposition means the ruling by the court on your case.

In your case, the ruling was deferred and the judge held off on finding you guilty or not guilty for a period of time for you to complete probation. When you go back to court, the court could do one of two things. In rare circumstances, if the defendant has a very good reason for not complying with probation, the judge could give him/her another chance to complete probation.

More often though, the prosecutor will argue (and the judge could agree) that the deferral was the defendant's chance to get the charge dismissed, and he/she shouldn't be given a second chance and the judge will make a finding of guilt.

If the judge makes a finding of guilt, you could be facing jail time. The most important thing for you to do now is to hire a lawyer (or get a court-appointed lawyer if you qualify) to help you (a) try to get the judge to give you a second chance at probation, or (b) if he won't give you a second chance, to help you with damage control in terms of a sentence.