How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grand son is in jail presently and is charged with possession

This answer was rated:

My grand son is in jail presently and is charged with possession of stolen vehicle property.Felony and possissions of stolen parts, felony. He had bought a frame of a miney-bike from someone living on our road. He bought parts o.ver several months an put the bike together. Two day ago the police took the bike. yesterday the police came and arrested him and has charged hime with these felonies. He is in jail under a $7000 bond and had a court appearance the morning and was told by the judge that he is facing a large fine and 39 months in prison!! We need a really good lawyer some where around Rutherford County to defend him. Please help us to find some one that can clear up this mess please. My grandson is still in jail. Should I sign to get him out. I own property. But I can't pay $7000. Please help us.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

As far as attorney recommendations, our site experts are not permitted to recommend specific attorneys, nor can we serve as attorneys for site customers. The best way to find a good criminal defense attorney is by word of mouth. You must know SOMEONE who knows someone who knows someone who got in trouble at some point? Try that route. If someone was happy with their criminal defense attorney, odds are he or she would be worth talking to.

If you cannot find an attorney this way, you can always look in the phone book or try the North Carolina Bar Association attorney referral service. They can point you in the right direction.

Regarding bond, since these are felony charges, your grandson probably has a secured bond. A bond is a guarantee that the person charged will show up for court. Otherwise, the person is held in jail pending trial.

There are three basic ways to post a bond. First, if his bond is $7,000, you could take $7,000 in cash to the clerk's office of the court where he is charged, hand it over to the clerk, and that will get him out of jail. You might be like me; I don't happen to have $7,000 laying around. (Time to go out in the back yard and pick some money off the money tree, right?) But, if the person you are bonding out makes all his court appearances, you get all the money back at the end of the trial, whether or not the person is convicted. or found not guilty.

The second way to post bond is by hiring a bondsman. This is the most common method people use, since most people don't have a lot of cash. In North Carolina, the maximum fee for a bondsperson is 15% of the bond amount. So, 15% of $7,000 is $1,050. They can always charge less, and if you do not have the total amount available to pay all at once, perhaps the bondsperson can let you make payments.

Find a bondsman in the phone book, or ask the clerk's office for a list. You do NOT get any of this money back at the end of trial. The money paid to the bondman is his or her payment for getting the person out of jail.

Finally, you can post a property bond. This means that you pledge property that you own as collateral for the bond. Say you own a house worth $50,000 and you owe $40,000 on it. You have $10,000 in equity in the house. You can use that equity as the collateral for the bond. Assuming your grandson makes all his court appearances, your property is "released" from its obligation to the court at the end of the trial. Of course, if your grandson does not show up for court, the court can move for you to forfeit the property, in this case, your house. You want to keep your property, so, needless to say, it is very important for your grandson to show up to court!!!

I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.

Take care,
S. Huband, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively, and I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,