How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26818
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a 1996 arrest for shoplifting in New Jersey, I gave a

This answer was rated:

I had a 1996 arrest for shoplifting in New Jersey, I gave a false name to the police. I hired a lawyer and went to court, the shop did not go to the court and the case was dismissed but was given a fine for lying about the name of $ 1,000. My question is: i want to apply for a financial adviser license, but They request a background check And They Said That They do not approve any One with criminal record. what I can do? :C
Hi Jacustomer,

Giving a false name to the police department can be serious or just a disorderly person's offense, but it looks to me as if your offense was a disorderly person's offense, because that's what your shoplifting matter probably was.

If that's so, you should be able by now to get your 1996 conviction for the false name expunged. If you can do that, then you can clean your record of your present offense. Once a matter is expunged you're entitled to say that you've never been convicted of a crime.

An expungement would require waiting 5 years, which you've certainly done and then petitioning Superior Court. If you have no other offenses since the case you want to expunge, you should be eligible.

You should have a lawyer, and there are those who specialze in pardons, expungements and restoration of rights. You can check with the New Jersey State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge somewhere around $50 for the referral which includes a half hour free consultation with the lawyer.

Good luck
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions