How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102348
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter just relocated to Maine from VA. She was convicted

This answer was rated:

My daughter just relocated to Maine from VA. She was convicted of a DUI in VA and lost her license for a year. How does that affect her ability to get a license in Maine
Hello and thank you for requesting me.

Is her ability to get a license in VA still suspended, or, has it been a year and has the suspension been lifted?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was convicted on 8/21/13 so in VA she has a year suspension

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

The Driver License Compact has most US states as signatories, including VA and Maine. The compact's motto is "One Driver, One License, One Record." If a license is suspended in one state, it would not be allowed to be received in any other state signatory to the compact until the original suspension is lifted.

As such, I am sorry to say that Maine is likely to deny her the driver license until VA lifts its suspension. I am sorry.

Now with the help of an attorney, she may be able to get a limited license for work, for example, depending on nuanced factors. But she would need an attorney to file for her, and there is no guarantee.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you