How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I was on probation 17 years ago in New Jersey and left that

This answer was rated:

If I was on probation 17 years ago in New Jersey and left that state could they come after me now to makee me serve time. Even if I kept out of any kind of trouble. It was a drug charge
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

You mention it was a drug charge. Was it a felony or misdemeanor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Seventeen years is a long time to be on the run. In some situations the warrant for arrest remains, but it is "dormant", meaning that your friend won't get extradited if arrested elsewhere outside New Jersey. Sometimes it's kept active. There is no way to determine that until it is too late, so it's always safer to assume there is still an active warrant outstanding for arrest.

Technically if he goes back to the state and he is found, he can still be made to serve the entire sentence. Of course, that the person has been out of trouble and productive since going on the lam is helpful, but it doesn't prevent there at least being some jail time served and the sentence was never satisfied.

To be safe in assuming, one must assume there is an actual warrant and if caught, jail time will still be served.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.


Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can they just pay off the probation

No, it's more serious than that. The sentence still must be dealt with.

Related Criminal Law Questions