How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27129
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend is in the penal farm on a 6month sentence and is on

This answer was rated:

A friend is in the penal farm on a 6month sentence and is on probation my question is should he(though me) report this to his probation officer or should he not this charge is possession and the charge before was drugs as well he agreed as i do that he needs treatment can the probation officer place him in a facility or does he need to hire a lawyer to handle this matter?

He would have to discuss this with probation himself and should not need a lawyer. If he is presently eligble for an in-house program or for a release to an outside program, he can apply and be considered for it. If not, he would be able to make his own arrangements on the outside once he is at liberty again, with the knowledge and approval of probation, that is

If at that point probation doesn't go along with treatment, then he would need a lawyer to get a decision from the judge, as the judge has the power to overrule probation. But probation would be ulikely to stand in the way of a probationer who needed a drug program.
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions