How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28367
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what should I do to avoid jail time if cought with crack cocaine.

This answer was rated:

what should I do to avoid jail time if cought with crack cocaine. It was for personal use, first time offence.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If this was for personal use and you are a first time offender, it is likely that the court may offer a diversion program or drug court that you can enter into, to get the case dismissed. If not or if you do not want to, you can work out a plea deal, which would likely involve a fine, court costs, community service and probation. While this is punishable with jail, it is unlikely as a first time offender, that the State would seek incarceration. However, you also need to remember that you have every legal right to right the case and make the State prove the charge against you beyond a reasonable doubt. Your attorney can look over the facts of the case and see what legal defenses you have and/or work out a plea, which is in your best interest. Typically, if you admit to having a problem and ask for help, the court is more incline to try and rehabilitate then incarcerate.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you