CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

If one party reports a rental car stolen and accuses a second

If one party reports a rental car stolen and accuses a second party of it and the second party finds out and it becomes a matter of the first parties word against the scond parties word. How can it be fixed so that both parties can save face?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Was the rental car actually stolen or was this a mistake? Was lead the first party to report the second party, as the thief? Has anyone been charged yet? Why would the first party have reported this stolen if it was not and why would the second party be mad if they did steal it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No one has been charged yet. I am trying to figure out a way to solve it before someone does get charged

Thank you for the additional information. If this was a mistake and the rental was never stolen, then you need to go back to the police and correct your statement, advising of how this was a misunderstanding. Right now, the police are going to rely on the report and statement your previously made so if you can recant it and explain where the confusion was, they may close out the case and not take any action. When doing so, you are going to have to explain why you thought the car was stolen and what really happened and how you realized it was a mistake. You are going to need to convince them that you are now not trying to cover for this other person, to protect them from a criminal charge.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will have someone go with me

You are welcome. If you have not already, please remember to rate my help with 3, 4 or 5 faces, so I can get credit for my answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to see if my friends uncle who is a lawyer will go with me.

Yes, that is always a good idea to have representation with you, to protect your interest.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again.... I was trying to figure out a way... to end this to save both parties involved.... If I cant find a lawyer then I will see if my sister will go with me

You can bring her with you for support but unless they have first hand knowledge about what happened, they will not be allowed to give a statement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My sister is busy today and cannot help me. My friend has an uncle who is a lawyer. I will call him and ask him