How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would I be sent to prison if I pay back the money I embezz

This answer was rated:

Would I be sent to prison if I pay back the money I embezzled?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Is this something you have already been convicted of?

Do you have any prior convictions?

Are you being charged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not convicted yet, no prior convictions, I am not charged yet but I will be and wanted to see if I offer to pay back what I took, would I still get prison time? The amount taken is $1.0M

Thank you. IF you offer to repay it, it will be up to the "victim" to stop the prosecutor from proceeding. Though the prosecutor has the final word. And if you are convicted you will be Ordered to pay it back anyway

As to going to jail, I suggest if you can have a local attorney negotiate this for you the District Attorney may recommend a suspended sentence with the restitution
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For that kind of amount, do you think I would get suspended sentence or home arrest?

Well that amount is consider grand theft. And it can be charged as a Wobbler. That means either a misdemeanor or a felony and mitigating and aggravating circumstances are considered upon sentencing

If a misdemeanor conviction, which is could be if you can repay the money, the sentence is up to 1 year in jail and yes, I suggest it would be suspended with a local attorney negotiating that for you

If a felony conviction the sentence is 16 months to 3 years. And again a suspended sentence is very possible.
Samuel II and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you