How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, who lives in Washington State, is being harassed and

This answer was rated:

My son, who lives in Washington State, is being harassed and stalked by people in his neighborhood who constantly drive past his house and follow him wherever he goes. He thinks that the instigator is his ex-girlfriend and her present boyfriend but the number of people who are intimidating him has grown very large (probably by word of mouth). When he tried to get legal help he was told to go to a mental health practitioner. He has tried to move to another location, but has been followed there. He has approached two police officers in his area who have not taken any action. He now won't go to his local police. What recourse does he have and where can he go for help and what proof does he need to present?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this harassment that your son is subjected to.

Can you please describe the type of harassment and stalking that your son has experienced so far?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

People drive past his house constantly and follow him wherever he goes (to shops, food outlets, gas stations etc). He has vacated his permanant residence and gone to a new location some distance away, but has been followed there.

Dear Lucinda,

Does you son know who are the people who are following him?

Do these people do anything aside driving by your son's house and following him around?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He knows who some of them are, but not all of them although he has taXXXXX XXXXXcense numbers and photos.


These people haven't physically harmed him, but have called him names and followed him in to stores.


This has been going on for 23 days now. He can't understand it but is getting fearful that it will escalate in some way. He just wants them to stop and he wants to get some justice if possible.

Dear Lucinda,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did your son take photos and videos of this people following him and reported this to the local police and was a written report taken by the police?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, he has approached two policemen (on the street) who have not really listened to him and not given him any guidance as to what he should do. Therefore, he does not want to approach his local police. Can he go to police in another jurisdiction?

Dear Lucinda,

Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, your son will need to clearly document any harassment or stalking by making videos and photos with his cell phone and also by installing surveillance cameras on his house to document any stalking or any people who hang around his house waiting for him.

Once your son gathers all the evidence, then he would have to go to his local police, to the headquarters and present all the evidence to the police and insist on police taking his report and following up with an investigation. It would have to be done with through your son's local police, as the local police would have jurisdiction over this matter.

If the local police is hesitant to help your son or refuses to take a report, then your son would need to insist on speaking to a supervisor and the supervisor can review a situation and make sure that police report is taken and this matter is reviewed and investigated properly.

I wish you and your son the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you