How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102192
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Ct, my ex lives in the KCMO area. He is a bad man,

This answer was rated:

We live in Ct, my ex lives in the KCMO area. He is a bad man, convictions of armed robbery, felony murder and most recently blackmail. He continues to contact my 19 year old daughter who he has never lived with despite her repeated request to stop. She has blocked all phone calls & online places yet he finds ways to send messages to her. She is frightened. What can we do to stop this or do we wait till he shows up and someone gets hurt?
Thank you in advance. MARY Hundley
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. What your daughter may wish to do is to file a Protection from Stalking Order. This is essentially a version of a restraining order that orders the party to cease and desist or else they can be held civilly on contempt and criminally charged.

According to K.S.A. § 60-31a02: "Stalking is harassment that puts you in reasonable fear for your safety. Harassment means repeated behaviors or actions that seriously frighten or annoy you and would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress. Also, there must not be any legitimate (valid) reason for these actions or behaviors."

The Judge will order him to stay away and place restrictions as they deem necessary (K.S.A. § 60-31a06(a)), including but not limited to telephone, email, or other contact - by him or his agents.

Information on how to file and forms are available for free here.

Often, a letter threatening to file such a complaint will have the party cease and desist, to avoid being dragged into Court. Let me know if you need a copy of such a letter. Or, she may simply file the request NOW, without writing such a letter - it is up to her.

The Courts generally like to err on the side of caution and grant more restraining orders than they refuse... actually, the vast majority of them are granted.

Good luck to her.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Eli, Do we file here in Ct or in Missouri were he live?

My pleasure, friend.

You'd file where she lives, so if it is in CT, then she'd file in CT.

You listed KANSAS as your state, so I gave you Kansas law. Connecticut is still similar, however. In CT, this is called a Relief from Abuse Order. See here on step by step on how to file.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you