How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a legal remedy to request that a prisoner on inteterstate

This answer was rated:

Is there a legal remedy to request that a prisoner on inteterstate compact to receive total legal jurisdiction of the receiving state?
Welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, no. The interstate compact only allows for supervision by another state. Jurisdiction over probation revocation always stays with the court that granted the probation.
Legal-Guru and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The court that has initial jurisdiction cannot legally give prisoner to another out of state courts jurisdiction even if receiving state agrees?

No, there would have to be a statutory provision allowing for this type of transfer of jurisdiction, and there is not. That's because it would create many problems for the courts. Which state's law would the court in the receiving state follow? If they go with the sending state's laws, how are they going to keep straight the laws of all 50 states? They can't really follow their own laws because the sentence the person received in the sending state may not even be a valid sentence in the receiving state. It seems simple, but it would not be.