How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyraB Your Own Question
MyraB, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 371
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
MyraB is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend was conivicted of a felony of state of Arizona in

This answer was rated:

My friend was conivicted of a felony of state of Arizona in 1999 and served his time but nos is having trouble getting a job. Is there a way of obtaing a pardon?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Arizona provides a process to set aside a conviction, also referred to as expungement. The relevant section is ARS 13-907 which may be found here

Following expungement, your friend would be able to apply for employment without revealing the conviction and it would not show up in a criminal record check. However, one of the exceptions to eligibility is that the crime involved a dangerous offense which may include the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon. From your description, your friend might not qualify for expungement, but it might be worth a try, because the pardon process is quite a bit more involved and rarely granted.

An outline and description of the pardon process in Arizona can be found here The information includes how to obtain the pardon application from the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency and the supporting requirements.

The pardon application still does not appear to be available online, but the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency website may be found here

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

MyraB and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you