How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in jail and awaiting trial, he is being charged with

This answer was rated:

My son is in jail and awaiting trial, he is being charged with 4 felonies:
3 felony counts of aiding/abetting a burglary
1 felony count of prohibited person in possession of a firearm
He is looking to get an outside lawyer somehow but has no money. The public defender assigned to his case is also working on about 40 other cases, so he is not getting very much attention from this lawyer. Where could he find a trustworthy lawyer to take his case on a pro bono basis that would really work for him and not just ride along with what the system offers?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, the way to get a free attorney in a criminal case is through the public defender's office. There are very few attorneys in private practice that work for free, except in very high-profile cases, such as civil rights cases. Here is a list of organizations that offer pro bono services in Minnesota. The only one that offers criminal assistance involves immigration issues.

In this type of case, the public defender's option truly is the best option for getting a free attorney. If your son is not satisfied with the representation he is getting, he can try to address some of his concerns with the attorney directly. Otherwise, you may want to call some private criminal defense attorneys to get an estimate of what they would charge.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you