How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118682
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was charged with trafficking marijuana in west

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend was charged with trafficking marijuana in west Virginia he was arrested (federal crime). he lost is green card. we are trying to get it back. since he was released 10 years ago he has reported to ins first monthly, then quarterly, now once a year. He is from Cuba. What is the process to try and get his card back. he has been employed with the same company for 9 years and has never been in trouble before or after this.

thank you.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

l am afraid that once he received that felony drug conviction, he is going to have to wait a minimum of 10 years after completion of his sentence before they can legally consider reinstating his greeencard. The process is going to be the same as before for him applying for permanent resident status, but I am afraid that his process might take him more time because of the prior conviction and honestly he would likely do best having an immigration attorney pursue the application for green card but you need to have him wait at least a full 10 years from completion of his sentence.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you