How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyraB Your Own Question
MyraB, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 371
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
MyraB is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Heres the problem, my drivers license was suspended in the

This answer was rated:

Here's the problem, my driver's license was suspended in the state of Michigan and I was ordered to pay driver's responsibility fees. When I started making payments I was told that I was eligible to have my driving privileges restored. However when I went to apply for a license at the Secretary of State I was told that there was an issue from 1987. I called Massachusetts (the state of the alleged violation) and was told that there was a warrant for my arrest for drunk driving and possession of marijuana. They gave me a driver's license # XXXXX Mass. The thing is that I have never has a driver's license in Mass. So, my question is two part, I think it's possible that maybe my identity was stolen and used in Mass. If this is so, how can I go about clearing this up. The second part is that even if this can't be sorted out, wouldn't there be an expired statute of limitations here?
Hello and thank you for your question.

Although you do not and never have had a license in Massachusetts, was there an incident in Massachusetts regarding drunk driving and possession of marijuana in 1987?
or were you never in Massachusetts? In other words, other than the MA license number does everything else seem to be accurate?

I look forward to working with you to provide the answer you seek.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was in Mass. and there was an incident with an open container and a State Trooper, but I wasn't arrested and there was nothing with marijuana involved. It was a long time ago, but I think I may have received a ticket for the alcohol that I didn't pay. But again, NOTHING to do with marijuana. And I never had a Mass. driver's license. Thanks for your assistance.

Thank you for your response and the additional information.

Based on the circumstances you describe, you will first need to find out what is going on in Massachusetts. You can obtain your criminal offender record information from Massachusetts here

The results should show any outstanding warrants regarding any incident from 1987. If any information is incorrect, you can file a complaint which can be found here

However, if the record seems correct and there is an outstanding warrant for an unpaid fine, you will want to contact the court to get the warrant resolved. You may need to contact a Massachusetts attorney, but you may also be able to clear it up on your own.
A warrant does not expire and because charges were brought and the fine levied, there is no statute of limitation that applies. It will remain open until you deal with it.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
MyraB and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you