Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I and a friend had gotten stuck in mud and were walking away

from my truck when police...
I and a friend had gotten stuck in mud and were walking away from my truck when police arrived? She agreed to police having her blow for alcohol content I refused the test. This is my first charge of DUI, but I do have a misdemeanor for pot in the state of Maryland
8/3/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry to hear of this matter for you.

Please tell me what information I can provide for you - what is the questions in this regard, please
What advice can you give? I have been released from jail but have a court date in September should I just go to the DA and say I am guilty or hire an attorney to represent me? Th police took my drivers license at the scene.
Hello

When you refuse to blow, under MD state law, that is an automatic suspension of your driver's license.

I suggest you never just want to tell anyone you are guilty - and since you did not take the breathe test, there is a greater chance of you being able to be found not guilty or have the matter dismissed

With that being said, I suggest you will want to consult with a local attorney who handles DUI cases. Or if you cannot afford a private attorney, then you go to the hearing in September and plead NOT GUILTY and request the public defender to assist you.

Keep in mind, that your license being suspended is a whole other situation that will have to be done through a hearing with the DMV. As such, you are able to get your license back until there is a conviction and so a local private attorney is your best bet, I suggest.

My apologies, the DUI charge is in OKlahoma? I am on probation in Maryland. Can OK Use that against me? What is the typical punishment for a first time DUI in OK!?
We were not in the vehicle when the police
Lice arrived. We were walking up the road . Does that make any difference?
Hello

It will not make any difference if you were in the car - the car did not get there on its own, you see and those facts will speak for themselve.

In OK the license will also be suspended automatically, thus why they took it from you on site. And also the penalties for a first time DUI is up to 1 year in jail and a fine not to exceed $1000

Generally, the jail will be suspended and the fine imposed with probation

The process is the same as what I explained for the MD law
Thank you. Can either Maryland use the DUI against me in my probation? Can Oklahoma use my probation in Maryland against me?
Hello

Your Maryland PO will be notified of the arrest and charge - yes.

It will then be up to the MD PO to determine if they want to bring you back for a termination hearing.

Are u certain OK! Will notify MD? the county court in OK Does not seem to know of my MD troubles? Should I tell nMD?

Hello

They will be notified and it will come across your MD PO's ticker database which is linked in to all states for their clients.

Nothing is secret or sacred anymore. It is all in the systems.

Oh, I suggest, you absolutely want to notify your MD PO before they hear it from another source

Thank you

Hello

You re welcome

Good luck with everything.

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law