How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I gave my uncle permission to sell a vehicle

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend and I gave my uncle permission to sell a vehicle for us. He ended up selling it to an elderly couple but did not get their names. He had the tearable slip at the bottom of the title for proof of transfer and gave it to them during the transaction. It has been a year and whoever now owns the car has gotten a couple parking citation on the vehicle and it was mailed to us. We called the place that mailed it to us and they said the car was still registered under her name. Since they still haven't registered it we are not sure what to do at this point. I don't believe we can claim the vehicle as stolen since it was actually purchased but we want to find out who has the vehicle and force them to transfer it to their name. I have been everywhere in town (Police, DMV, Tag Agency) and none of them have a proper answer just to try another place.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You can file the optional Notice of Transfer of Ownership with the Oklahoma Tax Commission, which notifies the state you no longer own the vehicle. Other than that, your recourse is to file suit against the new owners, whom you really would need to hunt down to find out who they are so you can sue them.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Notice of Transfer of Ownership requires that you know who purchased the vehicle as well. That is why we were turned away from the DMV. So are you stating that there is nothing to do other than find out who has the vehicle? More so the reason we are attempting to find an answer on this website was to see if there is an alternative method or a proper way to find out who the owner of the vehicle is.

I am afraid that you cannot report it stolen, your uncle sold it. If you have no bill of sale and no records or proof of the sale, then I am afraid it becomes impossible. Your uncle is the one liable to you here because he improperly carried out the task of selling your vehicle and failed to obtain proper information on the buyer and legally (although you would not want to do this I'm sure) any damages you suffer are his fault and you can sue him for those damages.

You other option is to seek to file an affidavit with DMV with whatever proof you have of the sale, but I am afraid that without the name of the buyer you are stuck there too. This is all on your uncle for not getting the information and you can either go looking for the car until you find it based on information your uncle gives you about the buyer or go look for the car in locations where the violations were written.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I (the girlfriend) will be looking into calling around the city in which we were told they possibly reside in as well as the county police for where the citation occurred to see if there were other citations on them and maybe have them keep an eye out for the vehicle. It's sad when people just can't do what is right and proper. We appreciate all the help.

Thank you for your response.

I understand your frustration with the buyer not registering or transferring title, but please realize your uncle also did you a huge disservice in not having a proper bill of sale with the names and address of the buyer, which would have allowed you to resolve this much more efficiently.