How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had guns stolen and a bunch of other stuff and oconto county

Customer Question

I had guns stolen and a bunch of other stuff and oconto county knows who has them and are getting them back but won't press charges where do I go to get something done
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Have you spoken to the District Attorney about this case?

What is the reason the investigator does not want to file charges?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

because I don't know the serial numbers on my guns, all that info was in the gun cabinet that they stole and because a friend of ours that was living with us died his family came and took it and said it was theirs. He said nobody registers guns so I can't even find out what the serial numbers are. I bought one rifle with my dad when I was 18, 31 years ago and the whitetail unlimited gun I won.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear that is what happened, since if the guns were not registered anywhere and if you do not know where they were purchased so you can at least try to find the information (or unless the guns have some unique markings from which they can be identified as your guns), it is impossible for the DA to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt that the guns the people have are your guns, which it seems is what they are trying to tell you. However, if they are getting the guns back to you, that is proof that someone had the guns and they are your guns, because the police do not just give guns back to people they do not believe own the guns.

It appears that the police may just be being lazy on this case or for some reason the DA is not willing to pursue this, but you need to go beyond the investigator now and you need to go directly to the DA once you get the guns back from the police and speak to the DA about this, because, again, if the police got your guns back to you, they believed they were your guns and as such the person who had them had no legal right to them and it is the ultimate and final determination by the DA that matters. If the DA refuses to prosecute the case, then there is no way to bring criminal charges.

Even if no criminal charges are brought, you can still sue the individuals who had your guns for theft and conversion in the civil court and seek money damages for any losses and losses of use or damage to the guns.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.