How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family member was just arrested in Los Angeles county for

This answer was rated:

My family member was just arrested in Los Angeles county for a VC 2800.2(a) vc. He is 18 years old and this is his first offense as an adult. However, he did get in trouble as a juvenile for fighting with another juvenile and was put on probation (he is still on probation). Is there anyway he would be able to get the charges lowered? What is he looking at as far as sentencing? Would it still be useful to contact a public defender as he cannot afford an attorney? Thank you
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

First, if he is on probation still, I am afraid this is going to be considered a probation violation and the court can revoke his probation on the first charge and send him to jail on that charge.

Second, this charge is a misdemeanor punishable by a MINIMUM of 6 months in jail and not more than 1 year in jail. He also faces a minimum fine $1000 and a maximum fine of $10,000. If this is his first offense even, you can see it is serious even with the minimum penalties imposed (which they usually are a minimum for a first offense).

He ABSOLUTELY needs to get a public defender immediately to try to help him for both the probation violation and the evading charge, because on an evading charge there is little room to work with and the most his attorney may do is get a reduction to careless or reckless operation which does not have the severe minimum penalties.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information if VERY helpful!

Thank you very much.