Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was charged with theft by conversion I live in AZ the

charge was in COb county.I...
I was charged with theft by conversion I live in AZ the charge was in COb county.I tried to find out about the caase could not find it until last year.I tried to call the prosecutor and see if the case could be dropped since I returned the item and never tended to steal or convert anything.I had 2800 left on the item and had at the time offered to pay it in ful.But the company said they could not take the payment since they already sent the case to the prosecutor/The time frame is 2008 .I can not return to Atlanta due to I am a single mother with no family I have 5 dependent children under 8.What is theire extradition radius if I decide to return.
8/3/2013
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
The debtor is correct...they have no control over the charges. Is there a warrant currently? If so is it a felony or misdemeanor warrant?

It was for 2800 so I t must be a felony .I know that in 08 Arizona would not extradite me for the offence.I want to clear the whole thing up if I can if I can not and the try to irision me I can nto risk it for my children.

It was for 2800 so I t must be a felony .I know that in 08 Arizona would not extradite me for the offence.I want to clear the whole thing up if I can if I can not and the try to put me in prison me I can not risk it for my children.Currently I am able to get jobs and work with no problem.

Thank you
If it is a felony, GA can extridite you...can you tell me please, what do you mean by
"Arizona would not extradite"
Did AZ arrest you and then let you go since GA could not produce the evidence for extridition?

No I was pulled over in 08 they saw the warrant but did not extradite for that.They said they do not.Did not arrest me no

Thanks
I want to make sure I understand...again, GA could press to extradite...but it sounds like you never went through the extradition process. Is that accurate? You never were arrested in AZ and exposed to the formal extradition process?
I am going to assume you have not been exposed to the extradition process.
Under the law, if there is an active warrant from GA, and you are arrested in any other state, GA can request that you be “held” pending extradition.
Extradition is a formal process where you are given due process to contest the removal from the state you are in to the state requesting you.
The state arresting you must prove they have probable cause to subject you to trial. If they can do that, you will be removed to that state (in your case, to GA)
But for this to happen two things must happen
The police in AZ must arrest you and tell GA that they have you
GA must then agree to pay the costs associated with extradition.
There is a cost...it costs money to extradite an individual...and so typically states will not exercise this on a misdemeanor charge. But typically they will on a felony charge.
What can you do now?
If you can convince the prosecutor to drop the charge, then it will go away. It is true, the victim in the case (you had referred to them as a debtor...technically they would be the creditor...or the victim) has no authority to drop charges. They can ask the prosecutor to drop charges...but the prosecutor has the final say.
That said, it costs money to prosecute a crime...particularly for someone in a different state. SO if you can get the victim to request that charges be dropped? You stand a decent chance of having the prosecutor do just that.
The best way to proceed in a case like this is to pay the victim the money you owe. Then ask them to write a letter to the prosecutor to drop charges and to give you a copy. Then you have a lawyer contact the prosecutor and ask them to drop the charges...or, you can present yourself to the court (and be arrested) and ask the prosecutor to drop the charges.
As a fugitive the prosector will not communicate with you directly. But they will talk to your lawyer...or of you show up they will talk to you directly. But you will need to travel to GA and turn yourself in to make this happen
BOt***** *****ne: if the goal is to lift the warrant, the best way is to pay the money owed, and get the victim to request in writing to the prosecutor to drop the charges...then you either travel to the state and turn yourself in, or have an attorney negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thank you Please give me your info and fees for retention.

Kind regards Amanda

Ma'am that is quite a compliment. But I can not represent you...that would violate the terms of service of this website. You need a lawyer in GA.
You can contact the state bar at (###) ###-#### for info on referrals
P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer