How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask joelaws8 Your Own Question
joelaws8, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 390
Experience:  I can answer general criminal law questions regarding specific statutes and procedure.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
joelaws8 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a roomate and we set up a joint bill account. this roomate

Customer Question

I had a roomate and we set up a joint bill account. this roomate went on a rampage and damaged personal property. the police were called but he had already fled. i pressed charges and a warrent was issued. a few days later i went to the bank to get his name off the account but the bank capital one informed me he had to be there with me to do so. obsevely that wasn't possible and i just canceled his debit card a three days after that he went into another branch and withdrew 500 from the account and i tried to make a police report but the police told me that wasn't something i can make a report for.what can i do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  joelaws8 replied 4 years ago.
Good morning and thank you for the question.

The police advised you correctly regarding the account. Since he had lawful access to the account, he did not commit a crime by withdrawing money from hit.

Your recourse here is to sue him for the $500 he took, the amount of damages to your property, any legal fees, and court costs.

for info on small claims court in LA.

I hope that answers your question! If so, please positively rate my answer. Experts only receive compensation for answers when the customer rates the answer. Rating my answer will NOT preclude you from asking follow up questions in the future, should any arise. In fact, if you rate my answer, your follow up questions will be my highest priority! If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

If you feel the need to click either "Bad service" or "Poor service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be very happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek at no additional charge.

Thank you very much,
Expert:  joelaws8 replied 4 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,