Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I work as a court reporter for the Los Angeles Superior Court

Customer Question
and have a judge who...
I work as a court reporter for the Los Angeles Superior Court and have a judge who is harassing me by using police officers to follow me and having those officers use a low frequency device to eavesdrop on me. He knows that I can't file a complaint because I am a recovering addict. What do you recommend I do? who could I turn to for help that would believe me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/30/2013
Criminal Lawyer: MyraB, Lawyer replied 4 years ago
MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear of your situation.

The conduct you describe can be reported to the Commission on Judicial Performance. The Commission is an independent state agency responsible for investigating complaints of judicial misconduct. Information on the Commission and the process to file a complaint can be found here http://cjp.ca.gov/

There is no reason you can't file a complaint. There is no requirement that you be somehow without faults to be a victim of harrassment and file a complaint. You have every right to do so if you believe the judge is abusing his position.

I wish you well and please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
I am afraid of retaliation. I have recordings of him through my steno machine and computer and he knew it. When he let me go I went to Burbank court and my mAchine was destroyed and my car was broken into and computer was destroyed costing me over $20,000. I found out it is Glendale police department who is helping him. One of them is a sgt

It may be that the best way to protect yourself from retaliation is to put it on the record and file a complaint. If he has gone to the lengths you describe when you haven't done anything as yet to challenge him, then making any allegations public may provide you some protection and make him back off. It is unlikely that he would continue to harass you after you've filed a complaint and provide even more evidence to substantiate your allegations.

I understand that this is not an easy decision and I'm just trying to provide some perspective and an option. How you decide to proceed is up to you.

MyraB
MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer