How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be going to court Oct 1, 2013 for Confined Unattended

This answer was rated:

I will be going to court Oct 1, 2013 for Confined Unattended Child FL.5.801. In Maryland. I left my 4yr old son in my car while i ran into the store. I am freaking out because I do not Know what to do. I do not want to go to jail. I do not have any prior convictions, in fact I have never been in trouble before this. CPS are currently doing an investigation and i am just totally scared and worried about future jobs and public record. I am wondering should i get a lawyer or just go to court by myself?
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Q) I am wondering should I get a lawyer or just go to court by myself?

Regarding the possible punishment, confining a child under this Maryland code section is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and up to a fine of $500.00, or some combination of both jail and fine.

As for whether you should get an attorney, my thought is "absolutely!" If nothing else, you should at the very least get legal advice from an attorney before deciding to go it alone in court. The attorney can evaluate your case and make a recommendation of whether or not you should have a trial, or try to work out a plea agreement for you if that is what you wish. The attorney can also discuss with you other possible consequences if you were convicted. Finally, an attorney who is knowledgeable about rules of evidence and other specific issues may know things that can help you.

You are always free to hire any attorney of your choosing. If you do not know a criminal defense attorney in your area, try the Maryland State Bar attorney referral service. They can point you in the right direction. Word of mouth is also a great place for referrals. Ask around to see if your friends, neighbors etc. have had a good experience with a criminal defense attorney in your area.

Since this statute carries possible jail time if convicted, you are entitled to court appointed counsel (i.e. a public defender, for example) if you qualify for one and you cannot afford your own attorney. If you have not already requested court appointed counsel and you believe you qualify, you should ask the judge to be assigned an attorney.

I think you are very right to be concerned about what a conviction, any conviction, could do to your job prospects in the future. This is definitely a topic to discuss with your attorney.

I'm very sorry you've found yourself in the predicament. I hope the case resolves quickly and in your favor.

I also hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.

Take care,
S. Huband, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do I do about Child protective services?
Thanks for the update.

Q) What do I do about Child protective services?

That's why you should get legal advice about the criminal case. CPS will want to talk to you about certain things related to your alleged wrongful acts. Without legal advice as how to best handle the situation, you might inadvertently say something to CPS that would damage you in court on the criminal case.

Then again, you certainly want to cooperate with CPS (and put forward the appearance that you have nothing to hide and this is all a big mistake.) A qualified attorney can help you walk the tightrope between these two seemingly incongruous goals.

I hope this helps. Best wishes to you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks you.
You're certainly welcome! I wish you the best with this matter.


I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively, and I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,