How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27230
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson at age 16 went into a convince store in Detroit to rob it, at the behest of ot

This answer was rated:

My grandson at age 16 went into a convince store in Detroit to rob it, at the behest of other kids. They gave him the gun and told him to do it to be part of them.
The attendant pulled his gun and Stan fired a shot to scare him then ran out. It was on tape and he was arrested. The case was not tried until he was 17. He was tried and previous juvenile behavior was brought out at the trial. He received 26 years for his crime. We feel that the Judge only trial was too heavy handed, is there anyone who thinks the same, and can help us get our young man a lesser sentence? He has been in the Thumb Correctional Inst. for 6 years, and we have seen a great degree of maturity take place in him including getting his GED, receiving Jesus through Baptism. He is quite an artistic person, and makes and trades cards and other items in prison.
Thankyou, Jim Brenay ([email protected])
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. After the sentence was imposed, was any action taken? Just to be clear, it is now 6 years later? Moreover, what was his previous record like?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Stan had 2 previous foul ups around 14 he stole a BB gun from Meijer and was sent to juvenile detention for a period of time.


Then he drove around a park dept van that was left unlocked. He broke into the office and got the keys. The police caught him, and he did more juvenile time.


No follow up was made. There was no trial but a plea agreement. I’m getting this from my daughter.


The plea was as follows:


2 to 5 years for having an illegal gun.

2 to 5 years for using the gun in a robbery.


20 years for attempted robbery

20 years for attempted murder.


He wasn"t trying to rob the store he just wanted some smokes.


He pulled out his gun and said give me a box of cigarettes.

Thank you for the additional information. Even though the plea/sentence imposed was harsh, it needs to be determined if it was illegally imposed. The question would need to be asked and it would need to be determined if he was sentenced accordingly, under the law. Even though the Judge may have been heavy handed, if this was an agreed upon plea deal and your grandson was represented and advised by legal counsel, it is going to b very difficult to go back to court and get the plea modified or even vacated, unless there is a legal basis to do so. His prior criminal history certainly did some into play when the sentence was imposed. All the positive things he is doing in prison, will count towards and be a factor for any type of early release program offered by the State. The only way that he could obtain a lesser sentence would be if the plea could be modified based upon a legal basis to support it or if the sentence imposed was illegal and not proper, under the law.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions