How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We received a lawsuit against my 87yr old deceased father (died

This answer was rated:

We received a lawsuit against my 87yr old deceased father (died Aug 2012) and 2 other much younger people that I have never even heard of as defendants. He was asked to be an executor of a will when he was 85 and had Alzheimer's. Apparently, there was some ill or "fraudulent" (as the court papers indicate) behavior as it relates to a deed of a house. My father most likely knew nothing about it. His doctor at the time is willing to write a sworn affidavit concerning his mental capacity at that time. Should I get an atty to call the atty of the plastiff or should I call myself and let them know my father's medical condition at the time?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

First, you are going to need an attorney to answer the suit to the court and as part of this their first step will likely be to contact the attorney for the other party and send him proof your father was not mentally competent so he could not have been an executor of any estate and could not have participated in whatever this alleged scam was.

If you do not answer this in time they can get a default judgment against you, so you are going to have to move tomorrow to get an attorney and get an extension to answer filed and then work on the attorney to try to get them to dismiss..

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you