How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a search warrant served at a property I manage. The property

This answer was rated:

I had a search warrant served at a property I manage. The property is a dump/ fill site for
construction company's. There was no one there at the time of the search. They left a copy of the search warrant stapled to the gate. They took a mower that had been dumped at the property.
The address on the warrant that the judge signed had the wrong zip code on it. The property zipcode is 37211 but the zipcode on the warrant was 37201. This is the Bell meed part of nashville way on the other side of town.
Was This a legal search?

A search warrant has many requirements, one requirement is that the property to be searched be described with particularity. This would typically include providing a description on getting to the property, the address of the property and a general description of the property.


With that in mind, it would be possible to file a motion requesting the invalidation of the warrant and, in turn, suppression of any evidence obtained. Having said that, my speculation is that having one incorrect number in the zip code would be considered a typographical error and would not lead to the invalidation of the warrant. Just my opinion.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you