How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28052
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a DWI conviction in 2005 in New York City. Is there any

This answer was rated:

I had a DWI conviction in 2005 in New York City. Is there any way I can prevent the FBI from getting this information? (I have recently been denied citizenship in a foreign country due to this conviction appearing on my FBI rap sheet)
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Who told you after the conviction that there would be no record of it after one year? Did you enter any type of diversion program with the court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think it was my lawyer who mentioned it. No, I didn't enter anything. All I received was a relief from disabilities. Can I have the conviction sealed so the FBI can't access it?

Anthony, thank you for the additional information. The FBI and other government agencies always have access to a persons criminal records and history. There is no way to prevent them from seeing it. A sealing or expungement simply prevents the general public from seeing it but if you were convicted, it is not possible to expunge or seal this, so that they can not view it. Moreover, I have provided a link below, that explains in detail the relief from disabilities which you received and how it applied. I know this is not the answer you were hoping to hear, since it involves the denial of your citizenship but the FBI will always be able to access your records.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Finally, then, is there any period of time after which my FBI rap sheet will be clear? (DWI conviction, 2005, New York City)

Thank you for your help.

There is no period of time when this will not been seen. However, there may be a "look back" period that you can inquire about, from the country that denied your citizenship, where they will no longer give as much weight to the conviction and it will not be a problem. In a country like Canada a person can get a certificate of rehabilitation, so you should see if that is an option as well.
CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you