Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I think I was just scammed...scared out of sending Money to

a guy claiming to be...
I think I was just scammed...scared out of sending Money to a guy claiming to be an DEA age t. Do I have any recourse?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2013
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.

So that I can best help you, can you tell me a little more about what happened?
This man called me this morning and said since I had ordered RX mess online there was a warrant out for my arrest and DEA agents were 15 minutes from my house and unless I agreed to paying a fine I would most likely be going to prison. I was scared and sent money. Now I am angry at myself. The money was sent my Western Union to the Dominican Republic. I feel incredibly stupid!
Where is the answer?
Hello.

Unfortunately, it is pretty certain that you were scammed. Don't feel stupid, though...a lot of people have fallen into the same trap because these people prey upon individuals by scaring them. In fact, the DEA has set up a website for dealing with this situation because it happens so often:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/pressreleases/extortion_scam.htm

As you can see, there is a phone number where you can report the scam to the DEA. You are in a somewhat tricky situation, however, because importing prescription drugs into the United States is a crime. So if you do decide to report it, you do have the right to refuse to answer any questions that might incriminate you. You can also report the scam to the Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Division, which investigates consumer scams:

https://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/

Realistically, even if the DEA or AG's office gets involved and investigates this crime, it is unlikely you will be able to recover the money. Western Union is the favored payment method of scammers all over the world because once they pick up the cash, it is basically untraceable.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news...I know it is probably not what you were looking to hear.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer