How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé was arrested a month ago for attempted extortion

This answer was rated:

My fiancé was arrested a month ago for attempted extortion over 10,000 and he was bailed out. He has been to every court date he has had and been meeting with his lawyer and has followed everything he was suppose to do. Then today the state police showed up at his front door with a warrant for his arrest on the same exact charge saying he had to come up with 30 grand or go back to jail after already paying 50,000. How is this legal?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Did they add more charges on him? Did he violate the terms and conditions of his bond?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope. He was charged with everything that they are trying to arrest him for when he was put in jail
Thank you for your additional information.

The court has a right to increase bond only upon proof that he might be continuing to act in the same manner and continues to commit the same crimes or if he has new charges added to him. However, he is entitled to now go back to the court and argue against the increase in bond with the judge showing he has complied with the terms of his bond and is not continuing to engage in criminal conduct alleged and the court usually will reinstate his previous bond. The reason for the bond increase sounds (since I cannot see his case file) like the DA just wants him held on higher bond and the DA has to prove that he is continuing to offend or he is a danger to society.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,because he hasn't committed any more crimes nor is he a danger to society he has kept to his self and has not spoken to anyone except his family and lawyer.
You need to get his attorney to file a motion in the court to reinstate the previous bond
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,the courts are also trying to keep us apart without any type of papers served to him or I. Can this be legally enforced?
Thank you for your different new question.

Why are they trying to keep you apart? Is this a condition of his bond or any other court order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have contacted the police department and they said there is nothing on it.
If there is nothing on the bond that says he has to stay away from you, then the only way they can keep him away from you would be to issue a condition of bond or court order that he cannot have contact with you. At this point you really have to turn it over to his attorney to go to court to get the original bond reinstated.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you