Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what states or state in the US does not exercise extradition WHAT

what states or state in...
what states or state in the US does not exercise extradition

WHAT STATE OR STATES IN THE usa DO NOT EXERCISE EXTRADITION? i WAS TOLD A ONE TIME ARIZONA DID NOT EXTRDITE,IS THAT ACCURATE AND IF NOT WAS IT ACCUIRATE A ONE TIME?iF SO WHEN AND WHEN DID IT CHANGE AND WHY?

/

/WHAT
7/20/2013
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good afternoon Jason,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm afraid that you must have misunderstood what you learned earlier. While many states will not extradite for a misdemeanor, or a non-violent felony---simply because of the cost and the hassle involved---no state has, or ever has had, a policy of non-extradition. All states will extradite when they want to.

In fact extradition is in most part a federal law, not a state law. The U.S. Constitution and federal law govern interstate extradition processes. Article IV, § 2, Clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution is codified under 18 U.S.C. 3182.

Perhaps what you were thinking of was states who have not adopted the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act (UCEA). Those states are Missouri and South Carolina, but they still have extradition provisions within their own legal systems.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Jason. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

what is the time frame for statutes of limitation for possession felony drug conviction in washington state?

Hi Jason,

What drug?
Possession with intent to sell or simple possession?
Has the person already be charged?
Has the person fled the state to avoid prosecution?

Doug

the drug they were charged with and convicted of was hydrocodone,possession only of which they were to TSI. They did not do so and were sentenced to 18 months prison.

Hi Jason,

If there was a charge and a conviction already---there is no statute of limitation that applies to that matter.

However, as possession of barbiturate is a class C felony and the statute of limitations in which the state must file charges is 5 years. The statute does not apply if the person has fled the state to avoid prosecution.

As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. I am required to ask that you place these new questions in a new thread, as is required by JustAnswer. I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX any inconvenience this might cause you.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posing are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them.

Thank you for your understanding,

Doug
LawTalk, Lawyer
Thank you once again for your positive rating of my service, Jason. It is always my pleasure to assist you.

Have a great weekend,

Doug

thank you Doug,have a good weekend as well!

LawTalk, Lawyer