How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37790
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a first court appearance few weeks from now for civil

This answer was rated:

i have a first court appearance few weeks from now for civil case. i had a hit and run case in which i pleaded guilty on criminal court. but i was improperly served with subpoena because i didnt received it so instead the lawyer of the plaintiff sent me letter. do i have to explain to the judge why i didn't show up the first time? do i have to show proofs of my whereabouts. because i moved out to another location and was on vacation too when they probably served the subpoena. is it ok to appear the court without my lawyer? my insurance will provide me lawyer but have not contacted me yet. thank you!

Good morning Gio,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I am confused. Are you talking about two separate cases---one a criminal case (you pleaded guilty) and another a civil case for damages sued on by the owner of the other car/property?

2. You wrote: i was improperly served with subpoena because i didnt received it so instead the lawyer of the plaintiff sent me letter. I'm not sure what you mean. What subpoena are you referring to? Do you mean the summons and complaint?

3. What is the name of the court appearance you have in a few weeks?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi doug, the criminal case was done already. i was pleaded guilty. so the plaintiff got her money for expenses she had for hospitalization. now, she is sueing me in civil court for physical and emotional stress she had. of course this is for more money. im sorry, its summons and complaint.

sorry, i didnt have the summon letter with me. im at work right now. it's something about -show case and cmt (conference meeting). i will write u about that later when i get home.

Good morning Gio,

Thanks for the clarification.

This is really simple. Call your insurance company right now. Tell them that you have been sued and that there is a hearing scheduled. They will immediately get a defense attorney for you who will do everything for you---you don't have to do a thing.

It is up to your insurance to get you the attorney immediately. You should be calling them daily until you hear from your attorney.

Literally, that is all you need to do. If you have the summons and complaint---get it to the insurance company---fax it, or mail it and keep a copy for yourself.

Don’t go to the hearing by yourself---they WILL get you an attorney for that. That is their contractual obligation under your policy contract.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Gio. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one more question. is it ok to call the insurance everyday? is it not annoying that i will do it everyday? anyway, thank you for your service. i really appreciated it. you will receive a godd rating from me :)

Good morning Gio,

The entire idea is to annoy them until they get you an attorney. Impress on the adjuster that you have a court hearing and they need to be prepared for that---meaning you want to hear from your attorney.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks Doug! that makes me feel good :)

My pleasure.

Have a great weekend.