Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Hi Robert, I have a question concerning my son; he got a wreckless

Hi Robert, I have a question...
Hi Robert,
I have a question concerning my son; he got a wreckless driving ticket. His court date is August 5th. He's thinking he should get an attorney to help him through this process. The question is does he need the attorney for the August 5th court date or is this court date just where he finds out what he's being charged with? Then use an attorney for when he has to go back to court to be in front of the judge?
Thanks for your time and help.
Darlene
7/17/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

It looks like the Expert you mentioned is not available. Since your question has been sitting for a while, I can assist you. Although it is not absolutely necessary that your son have an attorney at this first scheduled hearing, since he can just plead not guilty and ask for more time from the court to find an attorney, it really is advisable. Having already consulted with and hired an attorney before the first hearing date can say a lot of time and will probably result in resolution at that first date. In other words, if he found an attorney now, they could potentially have time to review the evidence in the possession of the State and then negotiate a resolution with the prosecutor. That might be an outright dismissal if the evidence is questionable, or reduction in the charge to speeding, or a plea agreement.

The sooner he has an attorney the better.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer