How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired movers to move me from apartment to storage unit..they

This answer was rated:

I hired movers to move me from apartment to storage unit..they stole my boxes by putting them in the bushes and also broke into my storage,.....I filed for arrest warrant for one of the three,,,,,

The case was assigned to a det..,.he is not too friendly and he quite frankly is mean. he was to meet with my witness, who saw the men come back in a pu truck and take boxes from the bushes and load thm onto the truck,,,,,,

He missed his appointment with the witness and now after a lot of prodding to get case resolved the det has asked me to come to the station to give a statement.....

question: why does he want me to do that......does this mean he is going to file the charges now? why hadn't this already been done.....and shouldn't he get the witness statement also? do you think this detective is doing his investigation in order.......shouldn't the criminal be arrested before now......
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The detective needs an official statement from the victim and will ask you again if you want to pursue charges and once he gets this statement and completes his case it will be submitted to the DA for decision on charges and prosecution.

Each officer has their own discretion in how to complete an investigation and when or whether to make an arrest.

He should indeed get the witness statements as well to present to the DA as part of the case. What it seems is that your case is not as important to the detective as perhaps other cases he might have to deal with, which is why he seems to be giving it not as much attention as you might like. However, what you describe is also not uncommon or improper in these cases either.

If the detective continues to not pursue your matter properly, you can go to his supervisor and discuss your concerns with his commander to determine why he is acting this way.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you