How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Asking again, just to get a 2nd opnion.......first one was

This answer was rated:

Asking again, just to get a 2nd opnion.......first one was not bad. i made a big mistake....Live in Delta pulled over for speeding, 91 in a 65....and DUI....bac 2.5 times legal limit, and was opening careering a unloaded firearm, which is legal here, but not while under the influence, though they noted it was unloaded. I got charged with a Misdemeanor and the DA was willing to drop all charges but the DUI, i served 3 days so far, and have to go do another 6. The judge gave me a week to decide to take the deal, or get a public defender/lawyer. I believe all 3 of these charges are Misdemeanor regardless. I was set free on a PR bond of 1k, but did not agree to the DA's request right away, and took the option to think about it. They did not seem overly interested is screwing me (the DA) I go into my first hiring in a week or so. I asked the judge if this would prevent me from owning a gun, she said no since it was not a felony. Yet the DA or Highway patrol kept it....and said i may not get it back.....which makes no sense if after i serve m y sentence, etc i am aloud to own another weapon.... On my bond sheet it did say i'm not allowed to use or have a firearm.....i'm guessing this is b/c i did not agree to anything yet and theres been no sentence, even the 10 days is theory i guess until proven guilty or i take the plea. Would you say, take the plea, get a lawyer? And after i serve my time and i guess community service, should i get the weapon back since i'd not be a felon and it was simply unloaded and holstered..... I'm just not sure what to do.

Also, in Colorado what are my options if any to get my DL back with in one year, or get this even further reduced?

I also choose the blow test instead of blood, thinking it may be more dysfunctional...I've heard both sides on this.

While it's rarely a bad idea to hire an attorney, this sounds like a pretty solid prosecution case.


A criminal defense attorney would want to look for problems with the case. This often includes whether there was a lawful basis for the traffic stop and whether the state can prove impairment. Here, you were stopped for going 26 miles an hour over the speed limit. As such, it certainly seems to be a valid stop. As to proof of impairment, you blew 2.5 times the legal limit. With this in mind, proving impairment seems likely.


There may be other issues. For example, an attorney would look into your performance on any field sobriety exercises, whether the breath test was properly administered and whether the police officer properly effectuated the arrest. While it is possible that there are issues to help you out, it does not seem likely with the information you have provided thus far.


While the decision is certainly yours to make, it sounds like accepting the plea offer may be in your best interests.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you