How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33938
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a registered sex offender in texas, mcculloch

This answer was rated:

My husband is a registered sex offender in texas, mcculloch county. In 1994 he was arrested in Dallas County, sentenced to 3 years. He did all his time and was released in Sept. 11, 1997 after the new laws were in effect. He did day for day ( 7+ years credit of a 3 year sentence)and was released. (no parole, probation, or supervision) he was given a list of rules to go by. When he went to register this year in McCulloch County(he has registered every year since 1997)they arrested him on the spot, the bond papers states for "duty to reg ". In research I have found they have him listed as "status: probation" (which he is not). Which I know means he has to go by today laws. It is our understanding he is supposed to go by the laws that were passed in 1997.After all these years I cannot find them, How do I get a coy of them?
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

There is no source online that I'm aware of.

The easiest place to find copies of the older statutes is to call the local attorneys offices and ask them if they have the statutes that go back that far. Most attorneys save their old statute books for reasons like this.

If you can't find one that way then the next approach to take is to go to the library at the closest law school and get a copy from them. The libraries at the law schools keep them forever. You can try the law library at the local courthouse but my experience has been that they throw them away when the new ones come out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found SMU is near where I work in Dallas. What do I look for/ask for?

What exactly are you wanting to look for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sex offender registration requirements that were in effect Sept 11, 1997. I believe they updated the laws and requirements Sept.1 1997. I think it's chapter 62 code of criminal procedure for 1997

That is correct, the sex offender registration requirements are contained in Chapter 62 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure so what you will want to get are Chapter 62 before the conviction and the year after the conviction.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.