How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33734
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know if I could get some advice from you. I made

This answer was rated:

I wanted to know if I could get some advice from you. I made an unfortunate mistake Thursday night and was booked for class c theft and PI. I pretty much got lost at a concert, ended up in the staff area and used the restroom. When I got out they had the tshirt box next to the door and I made the mistake of snagging one and they snagged me...Before this I had a clean record and want to know if the charges are available to have deferred adjudication or anything at all. If so what my steps need to be.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

If you have a clean record then you can get either deferred adjudication or, possibly, a pretrial diversion. However, you need to either hire an attorney or get a court appointed one. A pretrial diversion is where a court puts you on unsupervised probation for a little while and you may pay a fine but then if you don't get into any trouble the case is just dismissed. Most of them won't give these unless you have an attorney negotiating for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need an attorney for the deferred adjudication? Or just the pre trial deversion?
You stand a better chance of getting both of them if you start out with an attorney. If you ask for them and the DA refuses, then they won't change their minds if you get an attorney. If your attorney starts out asking for them there is about a 90%+ chance you'll at least get deferred.

In addition, the DA may ask you questions about the case and if you don't get a deal you want then anything you tell them they'll use against you later. It is ALWAYS better to have an attorney for a criminal case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok great. What do the attorneys fee run and are there ones you recommend in Houston?
We can't give referrals but it will run somewhere between $500 and $1500 usually. If you get someone who is going to be there anyway and you tell them you just want the best plea you can get and they can wrap it up at the first appearance they will usually give you a little better price.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can we find an attorney that will already be there?

You really can't easily, you just make calls and they will tell you. You can take a chance and just show up with the money in your pocket and grab one who is there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help on this. This cleared a lot up and has made me feel a lot better about this.
Glad to be of assistance! This service is really good for things like this, when you just need a point in the right direction or to clear up a few things.

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you