How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a warrant for an fta in Florida for possession of paraphernalia

This answer was rated:

I have a warrant for an fta in Florida for possession of paraphernalia from 2008 and would like to take care of it with out having to go to jail or spend tons of money to go to Florida. The warrant is 713$ is there any way I can send them money to take care of this

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer: Yes I am here thank you
Alex Esquire :

Welcome to

Alex Esquire :

I am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question for you.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, there would be no way under Florida law for you to avoid appearing in court on this criminal warrant.

Customer: Ok great
Alex Esquire :

The only possible option if you hire an experienced local attorney and this attorney would be able to convince the judge and prosecutor to waive your appearance in court and to allow you to enter your plea through the mail and / or by video conference.

Alex Esquire :

This doesn't happen often and would be entirely up to the judge whether to allow it and for the prosecutor whether to object, but on some older minor criminal warrants, sometimes it can be granted.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer: Yes my boyfriend is driving there at the end of the month and has suggested I turn myself in. How long does it usually take to see a judge and to settle and if the case is that old for paraphernalia what would the sentence be
Alex Esquire :

It depends.

Alex Esquire :

What is the bond on this warrant?

Customer: Nothing
Customer: zero dollars
Alex Esquire :

Do you have any prior criminal history?

Customer: I do in Virginia however it all happened in 2008. Nothing before and nothing after
Customer: I kind of just had a bad yesr
Alex Esquire :

What is your prior conviction in Virginia?

Customer: Reckless driving and petit larceny
Alex Esquire :

If you surrender to jail on this warrant which does not have a bond posted, you can spend up to 72 hours in jail before being brought for your bond hearing before the judge.

Alex Esquire :

Also, if you plead guilty or no contest to this misdemeanor charge, you can be sentenced to up to 12 months in jail and/or 12 months of probation or a fine of up to $1,000.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions.

Customer: No thanks that's it
Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions