How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The father of my newly born grandson is in a CT jail awaiting

Customer Question

The father of my newly born grandson is in a CT jail awaiting sentencing for possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle. He has two previous guilty convictions from last July for Larceny 5 with a conditional discharge. What is the penalty for these crimes and what can I expect?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you. I am working on your answer and will post it shortly. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you need more info?


Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.
Good morning, and thank you. Congratulationson your new grandchild, it is such a wonderful experience. I am sorry, however, that the father is choosing to behave as it appears. He apparently doesn't know what he is missing and will be missing in the future.

According to Connecticut General Statute Section 29-38, he shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both. I'd also be surprised if he wasn't charged with carrying without a permit, which has a year minimum jail sentence as well as a fine. His other two misdemeanors come with up to 6 months in jail along with the fine. As you can see, there is a level of discretion on how the sentence will play out, usually dependent on the attendent circumstances to the crimes.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.


Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you,


I was hoping it would be longer because this guy has ruined my daughter's life and I want to protect the only thing that matters now...that innocent baby.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Anna, I understand, entirely. Is your daughter's remaining life ruined, or just that which has passed, that she spent with him, possibly in the poor judgment of youth?

Know also that he may just be the type that continues to commit crimes and if so, will be put away again and again and again. The chance exists that he will be kept away from that beautiful child, so his bad influences at least don't touch him. Also, if your daughter ever gets married to an appropriate person who wants to adopt the child, the biological father may be agreeable if it means he will no longer be responsible for child support, college contributions, etc. All is not lost, I suppose is what I am trying to say. And his criminal behavior now, very well may prevent him from the right to enjoy visitation with the child, should he seek it and your daughter fight it.

Good luck. Your grandchild is lucky to have you in his court.