How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20362
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on probation and have around 70 hours of community service

This answer was rated:

I am on probation and have around 70 hours of community service to do by next month but I don't have much time to complete with work. I had the choice in court to either pay for the court fine or do community service. I chose the community service to save money since I didn't have a job at the time. Now that I do have a job and can afford to pay off the community service right now, my question is can I pay off my community service instead of actually doing the community service since I don't really have the time to do it?

Thank you for the information and your question. The court will likely allow you to do what you are suggesting, but your attorney will have to make a motion to the court to amend your sentence by replacing the rest of your community service sentence with a fine. Before contacting an attorney you might speak to your probation officer and see if they would be willing to contact the prosecutor's office to see if they could just put this on the docket without a formal motion from you. That isn't always possible, but it might be worth trying first to save some money in having an attorney file a motion and go to court for you.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! I just sent an email to my probation officer to see if I can pay it off instead of performing the community service so hopefully that works out for me so I don't have to pay an attorney to go to court for me.

You're welcome and best of luck to you!