Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can I purchase a firearm if I have a tampering with vehicle

charge on my record?,i got...
Can I purchase a firearm if I have a tampering with vehicle charge on my record?,i got the charge from having an argument with my sister in which I elbowed her window,that was it
7/8/2013
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

One clarification - - were you charged or convicted?
I pled guilty to the charge so I was convicted of a10852 VC which is a misdeameanor in the state of California,I also have a 12500(a)VC(misdeameanor)conviction that was an incident very similar to the one I described,but with another party,will I still pass a federal background check so I can purchase a firearm without any red flags showing up?i live in California if that helps
Attached is a list of misdemeanors that disqualify a person from owning a firearm: http://www.conseale.com/forms/prohibcatmisd.pdf

It doesn't appear that the two you mentioned would prohibit you from owning a firearm.
Roger, Lawyer
Do they check your Juvenile record on a Federal Background Check?i made some dumb decisions when I was a kid after my father passed away, I went off the deep end.i am now 23,he passed away when I was 12,when I was about 13 I was charged with weapon charges after a paranoid neighbor supposedly saw me with knives in my front yard(not true)anyways,the day after,two investigators were at my door and they searched my house on probable cause and seized my dads display knives that were on his mantle in their sheaths n charged me with weapons charges,I was put on 4 yrs. formal probation n during that time on probation I had several probation charges that were all because I didn't pass drug tests(like I said I went off the deep end after my father passed away),will they see that on the federal back ground check?
Relist: Answer came too late.

Hi - sorry for the delay. I lost my internet connection momentarily.

USUALLY, juvenile criminal convictions are sealed - - but you would need to check to make sure yours are.

If the convictions are sealed, and they aren't felony convictions, then you should be ok. However, if the conviction is not sealed and/or its a gun-related offense, it may appear.

Often times, the best thing to do is see if you pass the background check, and if you do, then you're clear; but if you don't, you can find out what is showing up and then try to file a court petition to get those things removed.

Roger, Lawyer