Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Ive been working for a dr for the past year and over the course

I've been working for a...
I've been working for a dr for the past year and over the course of a year he would have me fill prescriptions for him. Sometimes in my own name and some in other names. I voiced my concern to him several times that I was afraid of doing this so much and he assured me every time that I was doing nothing wrong. Since then I have found out that his house and everything he owns has been seized by the it's bc he hasn't paid taxes since 1996. He also has several malpractice suits against him. He's been under a lot of heat lately and he's claiming I forged the prescriptions. I'm scared to death and don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, brandy
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information. Are you saying that you filled prescriptions for controlled drugs and it was for the personal use of the doctor? Do you think he has an addiction issue? Are you a nurse? Who is he telling that you forged the prescriptions? Have you been contacted by law enforcement and if so have you made a statement yet? Are you still working for him?
It was for adderall and sometimes vyvannse. I'm not sure if its for personal use or he's selling them, he is in serious financial trouble. I am a medical assistant and no longer working for him. He is telling the police about it and I have not been contacted as of yet.
Hello again Brandy and thank you for the additional information. First, it is important that if you are contacted by law enforcement you do not want to make any statements at all unless and until you have a local criminal defense attorney who advises you that you should. In other words, if law enforcement contacts you then you need to tell them that you will not any statements at the time and then immediately make an appointment with a local criminal defense attorney to sit down and discuss all the details, so that they can advise you on your best course of action and assist you in that.

What they can do is contact law enforcement and find out if you are the focus of the investigation or if the doctor is. If the doctor is, then your attorney can negotiate an immunity deal in exchange for your testimony against the doctor.

But, what you did, if the State or Federal prosecutors wanted to prosecute you, could, at the very least be considered criminal as an assessory, even if they do not believe that you forged these prescriptions. So, you could face prosecution. But, from what you say, it is more likely that law enforcement will want to go after the doctor and not you if you cooperate. But you don't want to make any statement until you have a deal in place through your attorney.

Please let me know if you have any specific follow up question. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Thank you so very much! Should I report it, they the dr was telling me to fill these prescriptions so that they at least know to look into it?or should I just wait until I am contacted by the police?
You're welcome. This is a tough issue, since from what you say, the doctor has apparently already been talking to the police. If that is the case, it might be too late to be proactive and report his conduct. The only way that you would want to do that is if you have your own criminal defense attorney can contact law enforcement and feel out if this do or don't know about the level of the doctor's prescription fraud. The problem with filing a report now is that you would have to admit your part in it without any protection from prosecution. So, that is why you want the protection in place first before you provide evidence against him.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer