Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My wife was arrested yesterday for spousal abuse, her first

My wife was arrested yesterday for spousal abuse, her first arrest. She is being arraigned this morning. I want to help her. Tho she needs anger management, I want to be sure nothing else bad happens to her. What can I do? I'm 63 and can't afford a lawyer

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

The only thing you can do at this time is to tell her to ask for a court appointed lawyer.

JD 1992 :

And to help her make bail.

JD 1992 :

Once she gets out of jail the lawyer it is unlikely she will get any more jail time as long as you weren't badly hurt and aren't pushing them to send her to jail.

JD 1992 :

However, most people complicate things by trying to handle it themselves rather than getting an attorney, either by hiting one or getting one appointed by the court.

JD 1992 :

She also does not need to give a statement or in any other way talk to anyone but her lawyer.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She's be released pending a date in Superior Cort later this month. I had no chance to talk to anyone so presume we request court appointed lawyer at that time? Don't know what to expect as nothing like this has happened to me before.
If they didn't ask her at the arraignment if she wanted a court appointed attorney then she should wait a day or two and then contact the clerk of court and ask them the procedures for that specific court. Some judges just want you to make the request when you go to court and some have papers they want you to fill out in advance.

She probably wants to call around and get a few prices from lawyers because some judges will ask her "how do you know you can't afford to hire one if you don't know what they cost?" She can just get prices and write down the name and the price and then she is prepared if the judge questions her.