Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

the atf 4473 asks have you been comitted to a mental institution.

the atf 4473 asks have you been comitted to a mental institution. the question does voluntary admissions or voluntary committment where no court, board or lawful authority, or commision committs me do i have to answer"have you been comitted to a mental institution. if i voluntarily comiited my self for treatment

Hello again Gary -

-

In the CO cases where you were receiving treatment prior to the 72 hour time limit - you did tell me that you agreed to the stay at the hospital -- did you stay longer than the 72 hour period?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mary yes in the 2 hospitalizations I agreed to voluntary treatment after 72or one form says voluntary committment is that the same as involuntary commitment for the atf form 4473. you see within a day or two i signed in voluntary. I never saw a judge or court or lawyer for these 2

Gary --

-

If the language on the form simply states " were you committed to a mental facility " then that means that you must answer yes whether you were involuntarily committed or you committed yourself voluntarily. If the form states "were you involuntarily committed or adjudicated to a mental facility " then you can answer "NO" because you no one else ever involuntarily committed you to the facility. However, because the notes at the two facilities in CO are very old and unclear, you may just answer the question "NO" and see if the background check actuall makes it that far when there is nothing on file at the county or state levels.

-

MARY

-