How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a co worker, who is going thru a separation, her ex

This answer was rated:

I have a co worker, who is going thru a separation, her ex spouse accused him of stealing her car , the car is under her name, but he has been paying and driving it for the last six years. Police came yesterday and took hi, what can we do? What kind of lawyer can we get him. This is in NYC.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While I am sure that this will all be straightened out once the prosecutor realizes that this is a marital issue, and not a criminal issue. But in the mean time your friend will want a local criminal defense attorney to represent him. The legal defense is that he had both the actual permission as well as the constructive permission from the owner to utilize the vehicle based on his payment of the expenses of the automobile.

It is possible that there is a bond that can be paid to immediately get him out of jail on this particular charge. Speak with the jail personnel to determine the amount of bond in this instance. State law requires that the authorities bring defendants before a judge “without unnecessary delay,” which the state’s highest court has interpreted to mean 24 hours under normal conditions.

Get him connected with a local criminal defense attorney and that will probably help immensely in getting this resolved in his favor.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Salome. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Related Criminal Law Questions