How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28366
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive recently been charged with a DUI in California. I was

This answer was rated:

I've recently been charged with a DUI in California. I was convicted in KS of a 1st offense DUI back in April 2006.

What impact will this new charge have on my KS driver's license? My work requires that I have a valid license since I travel and rent cars as part of my job.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The fact that your driving privilege in California has been suspended or will be if you do not request and/or win a California DMV hearing, will most likely affect your driver’s license in Kansas. This is because all but five states (Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin) belong to the Interstate Drivers License Compact (IDLC). The IDLC revolves around the concept that every driver in the country has a single drivers license and a single driving record. States belonging to the Interstate Drivers License Compact report driving arrests (including DUIs) to each other. As a result, your home state will likely take its own action against your driver’s license if you suffer a California DUI arrest. As such, it is possible that the license may be suspended. With that being said, you should certainly retain legal counsel to fight the DUI not only through the CA court but through the CA DMV, in hopes that the licenses is not suspended and not reported.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you