How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the warrant a no-bail warrant ?(highly unlikely based on the charge)
2. Is the warrant based on your failure to appear at a court hearing on the charge or was it issued after the prosecutor simply filed charges?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i dont know!! i had no knowledge if this until yesterday when i went apply for housing...its being active for four years now

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have been living in the same place for ten years... i havent recieved a came to my house.!! i actually gotten a ticket since then...i dont know what to do

Good morning,

Have you ever been contacted by the police before about this alleged harassment?

Have you ever had a court date relating to the harassment charge that you were aware of?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for the additional information, DJ.

The vast majority of warrants are NOT no-bail warrants, and you can post a bond with the court and just arrange to appear in court, as opposed to being booked and released.

As you say that you received a ticket since this warrant would have been issued, I question whether there even is a warrant---as you likely would have just been arrested on the spot at the traffic stop----unless the stop occurred in a different state than where the warrant was issued out of.

If a warrant has been issued then you will need to contact the criminal court clerk’s office at the courthouse and ask what the amount of bond is for the warrant.

You will then need to go to the court and post the bond on the bench warrant. The bond is often between $500 and $1,000, cash only, and then you will get another court date to appear to answer to the underlying charge as well as to your failure to appear at the first hearing. If the bond amount is higher than you can afford to post in cash, you will want to have a bail bond arrange the bond for you

If you are concerned about going to the court to post bond, you can have a friend do it, a bail bond or even a local attorney. However, they are not waiting at court to arrest you. Call ahead to ask how much the bond amount on the warrant is---take in the cash to pay the bond, and you will be given a new hearing date.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you so much!! i have been crying since yesterday. i dont want to be booked for something i didnt do.. so its possible to pay warrant get a court date without being booked? do u think that i should hire a lawyer?? do you think that i can get this removed??

Good morning DJ,

You asked: so its possible to pay warrant get a court date without being booked? In most circumstances, yes, that is how it works.

Warrants don't get removed unless they are issued by mistake, or after you post a bail and arrange to go to court. After the bail is posted the court will issue you a hearing date to go to.

And yes, if the court went to the trouble of issuing a warrant, you should probably at least consult with a local criminal law attorney about a defense, if it turns out that you need a defense.

Call first to make sure that there really is a warrant out for you because you bother to speak with a local attorney. The housing department may have you confused with someone else. It happens.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated. Please keep in mind that until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,


LawTalk and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, DJ. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.