Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my friend was charged years ago for assault on a police officer

and couldn't afford the court...
my friend was charged years ago for assault on a police officer and couldn't afford the court cost an other fees so she pleaded guilty not knowing this will ruin her life of finding a job and providing for her kids. Is there any way to clear her of this even though the officer lied.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

Was your friend convicted of a felony?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

what was the exact crime she was convicted of or plead guilty to?

Customer:

assault on a police officer.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, such felony conviction would not be eligible for an expungement, even under the new Tennessee expungement law of 2012, that does allow for some misdemeanor and felony convictions to be expunged.

Alex Esquire :

How long ago did this conviction take place

Alex Esquire :

?

Customer:

it wasn't true. had to plea guity because she couldn't afford the court cost and fees. about 15 to 20

Alex Esquire :

15 or 20 years ago?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Well at this point, it would be impossible to have this case re-opened, giving the amount of time that had passed and the fact that your friend voluntarily plead guilty to this felony crime.

Alex Esquire :

The only option that your friend has, is to file a Petition with the Governor for a Full Pardon.

Alex Esquire :

If her petition is granted and she received a full pardon, than she would be forgiven for this crime and this felony conviction could no longer be used or count against her.

Customer:

ok thank you

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

no

Alex Esquire :

What does not make sense?

Alex Esquire :

Here is the link to the TN official website which contains Application for Pardon:

Alex Esquire :

http://www.tn.gov/bopp/Docs/Application%20for%20Pardon%203-24-11.pdf

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up question?

Customer:

thanks that was very helpful

Alex Esquire :

Sure, do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

no

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

ok

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law